The Hunter Star quilt top is finally sewn together. I put the last 4 blocks up on the wall and then spent a half hour moving blocks around until they were pleasing to my eye. It ended up 47″ x 71″.
When 4 blocks come together it makes multicolor stars.
This also shows the true colors in the quilt better than the whole quilt photo.
Our twice monthly sewing group met yesterday and I paper pieced flannel arcs to use in the next flannel quilt.
I had only printed 6 arcs so I need to decide how I am going to place them so I know how many more I need. I was thinking of maybe a half circle on both sides and a full one in the center. Then it will be filled in with more squares around these blocks and maybe 3 more rows of squares at the top. Right now it is 56″ wide and I want the length to be at least 72″.
I cut and sewed the last 4 blocks for the Hunter Star quilt. Tomorrow I will play with the arrangement of these with the other 20 blocks so I can sew the top together.
Today is a play day with my 2 friends. One of them is going to teach me something new. There are some patterns I have had no interest in and now I want to learn this one. Stay tuned…..
The chicken and egg fabric won in the end. I decided not to put the narrow black border first. It would just be a lint catcher on a tablecloth and the background of the border print separates nicely from the pieced center. Most of the border will be hanging over the table edge.
I received the fabric that I won in a giveaway and I think they go well with the Hunter Star blocks so I’ll be making four more blocks. They are just a little more green/turquoise so they will help balance out the 4 that are already in that shade. Most of the others are more blue/turquoise.
This photo is for the noreply person who inquired about the brand name on this fabric. I purchased it on sale in August 2012 so it is probably not available any more. Most of my fabrics age on the shelf for awhile before I use them. This one will age a little longer since I didn’t choose it for the border.
The crunchy ice melted off the driveway by 10:30 yesterday morning. I figured it was better to be safe than sorry and reschedule the class.
I rearranged the blocks on the Hunter Star and thought it might be the final layout. Then I got an email that I had won a giveaway and I’m wondering if some of those fabrics might look good with this so I’ll wait until I get them before I sew it together.
I made new curtains for my 1953 pink bathroom. It is a flesh pink so the curtain leans toward pale coral. 2 1/2 years procrastination, 55 minutes pressing, cutting and sewing them.
Two of last year’s Amaryllis bulbs have buds on them. I didn’t even put them outside last summer. They were in the garage the whole time. I brought them in and started watering them about 6 weeks ago. I have 3 others from last year or previous years and they are just leaves so far.
I didn’t have anything ready to sew last night so I tore papers out of these pieces. I know you are supposed to sew the pieces together first and then tear the paper out but I have success this way. Here is a photo of all of the blocks. I was happy to see I had taken a picture of the whole layout since I didn’t know how any of these pieces go back up on the wall.
I made 2 more blocks yesterday and then took those and the three from the day before down to the design wall. I just needed one more block so I chose fabrics and sewed that one last night.
Here are all 20 of the 12″ blocks. It would be 48″ x 60″ at this point. I’m a little tired of the turquoise and rose/burgundy/rust combination so I might stop here. First I have to decide if any of the blocks are not working and need replacing. Also I need to move a few to different spots.
They are talking snow again for today so I might have to spend some time shoveling. The part 2 of my TAW class is supposed to be tomorrow so I also need to clean the basement.
I had too many things to do yesterday so I just got three blocks sewn. I didn’t try them up with the rest of the blocks yet. Snow predicted for today but they keep changing the forecast so I’m not sure if it will be shovel or broom to clear the porch.
I have 14 Hunter Star blocks sewn and fabrics chosen for 6 more.
I also inventoried all of my quilt tops waiting in line for quilting. I needed to measure some and staple a little note with the size written on it on the corner of the quilt top. That saves a lot of time when I’m ready to look for backing and batting pieces.
I sewed two more stratas for this TAW quilt and then decided what my center is so I can unpick more loops. I won’t do too much more on this one until my February class starts.