I finished the binding on the X and + quilt while I watched TV last night. I LOVE this quilt! I was explaining to my art quilting group that each block is a project in itself for this quilt. You don’t plan the whole quilt; you plan each block and when you have enough of them made you lay them out in a pleasing arrangement.
I have a piece of a Kaffe Fassett green print inserted across the backing of a Jane Sassaman print.
Two of the art quilters brought their finished trip around the world quilt tops.
This is the center of the one above.
The rail of my quilting machine is in the way to see the whole quilt from this angle but this photo showed the African fabrics the best.
Here is the full view. I thought the students from my 2 classes might like to see some alternate fabric choices. I don’t think I’ll ever get tired of seeing or making this quilt pattern.
I did very little sewing yesterday. Since I wanted to show March finishes I knew I had to sew the border on this one. I chose the mottled fabric rather than the stripe batik and made the border narrower than I showed when I was auditioning the 2 fabrics. I made all of the blocks and sewed the top together in 10 days and then it took 3 weeks to finalize my decision on the border.
I only ended up with 2 quilts totally finished in March, both flannel quilts.
These 3 tops were completed and all were started in February or March. The flannel quilt on the left just needed the paper pieced border in March. The center one was made from start to finish in March and the one on the right was started in Feb. and finished in March. That makes 12 finishes for the first quarter of 2013. If I could keep up that pace I would have all of my tops quilted by the end of the year. That is if I can keep the ‘starts’ under control………
I thought this was going to be my final layout all day as I kept peeking at it. Then last night I saw the photo on the computer monitor and I might have to move one block. There are 2 very dark X’s in the bottom left corner. I know that once I move one block I’ll end up having to move others so it might just stay the way it is. I moved a lot of blocks yesterday morning. The X’s are alternated light and dark so I can’t just move one block to the side, it has to go diagonally to stay in the same position. The bottom right corner has 3 darks together because the block I pulled out was a light and I didn’t want to make another block. I have 2 friends coming over today to sew so I’ll see what they think.
It finally got warm enough to go out for a walk yesterday. It was 45 degrees and the sun was shining and no wind so it felt warmer than it was. I walked down to the Hallmark store to get a birthday card and stopped at the post office to mail the card on my way home.