I made more double 4 patch blocks and then decided to see if there was any other fabric i wanted to try in the alternate blocks. I really want to use this teapot fabric in something. I notice in the photo that it is a one way design and I have 2 blocks turned the wrong way. I’ll continue making blocks and auditioning fabrics and the answer will come some day.
It’s time to clean the basement again for the art quilters to come on Monday. While I was down there I was looking at my boxes of pieces on a shelf unit. I pulled these 2 boxes.
I decided to play awhile so I designed and sewed 3 table runners and 2 table toppers. Then back to cleaning.
I noticed my first tiger lily blooming in the front garden. Then I noticed one in the back garden too.
Also in the front garden the Rudbeckia is blooming.
The purple balloon flowers have been blooming for awhile and now the pale pink ones are blooming too. I pulled out a bunch of evening primrose that the Japanese beetles have been feeding on. Also pulled out a bunch of bindweed and there is a lot more to do.
I finally got a good photo of “Chocolate and Caramel”. I finished the quilting on it in Feb. this year but the top was completed in June of 2008. I brought 2 design walls up to the living room and took this photo with the natural daylight .
I took 3 detail photos too since I gave this away last week and mailed it to the recipient on Friday. I want to remember all of the wonderful fabrics I used in it.
This is another one that you would have to see in person to see the richness of the colors. They are more subdued in a photo.
This is the tree across the street, my view from the front door. The temperature is dipping down low at night. It is getting dark by a little after 7 p.m. Autumn is here.
did i miss this earlier?… how do you prevent stretching the bias diagonal as you sew?
This picture shows the correct way, with the triangle supported on a flat surface all the way through the machine. I sewed for many years with my machine on the kitchen table. I have not always had the set up I have now. I have the clear acrylic table around the arm of my machine in this picture. Full view of it was on yesterday’s post. I also have a cabinet with a machine down in it so I have a level surface. My work improved dramatically with the flat surface, vs. the work draped over the machine. My suggestion is that if you are serious about the accuracy of your piecing, invest in an acrylic extension table or one of the tables or cabinets that your machine fits into, flush with the surface. Another option is to pile hard cover books in front and behind your machine to create a flat surface.
I have over half of the triangles sewn into the squares now. I have also turned all of the sewn ones so that it has a dark center, which also makes the point on the left side dark (which is what I wanted).
Here it is again with the light center. Now I have to decide which way to go by the time I get the rest of the squares sewn.
A friend I used to work with came to my house to see the quilts I am working on and then we went out for lunch. She said the same thing my art quilters always tell me, that the quilts are even more beautiful in person than they are on the computer monitor. That is a little plug for always going to quilt shows and guild meetings to see the real thing if you are able to.
>I happened to glance up at my small design wall……..
and saw that my scrappy combination of double 4 patch blocks were up there. I am heavy in the combination with the light chain and light in the ones with a dark chain to make the design come out even. The 4 corners should have all been dark chains.
I wasn’t sure if I like the way 2 dark blocks come together at the corners of the center diamond so then I alternated dark and light chains within the center diamond. Once again I didn’t have quite the right number with dark chains so 3 blocks in the outer rows are wrong in this one. I’m not sure which way I want it to be so I’ll make some more blocks from the leftover basket quilt strips and add more rows.
>Second group for second class……….
Was that title confusing enough? I had more people in the Double 4 patch class than we had room for in the designing stage so I had half of them meet last Friday and the rest will meet today. The store isn’t open on Mondays so we will have the place to ourselves. I finally had a chance to do some sewing on my scrappy blocks, some finished and 3 still in pieces. I am using the leftovers from the basket quilt that I was working on (and that still isn’t finished).
Here is one more picture of the view from my kitchen window, taken with the zoom feature. If you click on it you will see many different varieties of hostas. My coneflowers are getting tall back there but because they don’t get much sun they will bloom later than the ones in the front yard.