15 and 15………

I trimmed the last three blocks and put them on the design wall with the rest to total 15.  I have more ideas of combinations for the next blocks now.















The other 15 blocks I made are for a QOV block drive sponsored by Kevin the Quilter.  Follow that link to read the details.  They need to be submitted in groups of 5 so I made 3 groups to use up the fabric.  They will be mixed in with other donated blocks so there won’t be so many repeats of fabric next to each other.  There is an update post also here

In weather news: a big snowstorm headed here Tues. night into Wed. morning.  Just what we needed!  Today however is supposed to be in the 50s so a lot of the snow we already have will be melting.






Solving the Blogger issue…..

A reader, Sewpokey, told me how to get my photos onto my blog so I’m going to share it with you.  Click on the Add Photo icon, click on From this blog and a line of writing appears at the top with a link to Picasa web albums.  Click on it and Upload is a button at the top.  You can now upload lots of photos at once from your computer and name the folder so you will know where to find them.  Then when you want to add them to your post, click on From Picasa Web Albums and choose the folder your photos are in and add them like you used to do it.  I add them one at a time and enlarge and move them with the left orientation and then choose my font and size and type my words.  Then I move the cursor down a line and add another photo and repeat.  This way the photos are clickable to enlarge and my wording is where I want it by each photo.  The photo above is a box of 2.5″ squares that I delivered to my lunch pal yesterday for the QOV group.  I cut for 3 hours Thursday night for these and some chisel shapes.
I cut chisels and matching size triangles.  I cut the chisels all face up for this design time.
Then I played with layouts.  This one is pretty neat and would work up fast.
I like this one too.  I only cut 4 different fabrics for the chisels from the donated fabrics so I’ll have to add another group of fabrics to have enough blocks for a quilt.
Actually they might be nice in the same quilt alternating.  This will be a QOV quilt.
Last night 2 of the TV shows I regularly watch had new episodes so I sewed binding on 6 of the mug rugs while watching them.  I was making the 3rd one down for a friend and got it into an addressed envelope and sealed it before I remembered I hadn’t taken a photo of it.  Maybe she will take a photo and email it to me when she gets it.

QOV top………..

I was sewing in the basement last night because I was doing a load of laundry. I only had 3 blocks left to sew together for this QOV top so I did them a couple nights ago and last night got the top sewn together and pressed. It still needs a border to be big enough for their minimum size requirement. It is a Mary Johnson pattern but we made the blocks 12″ instead of 9″ because we cut it with the Accuquilt studio dies. That meant we would have less blocks in the quilt. One of the other ladies did the cutting and another one sewed the Churn Dash blocks. I sewed the star blocks and assembled the top.
Since I had the iron on, I finally pressed the 3 blocks I made earlier this week.

From one kind of cutting to the next…….

I finished the I Spy kits and now I’m on to the next cutting project for the Quilts of Valor projects.  One of the groups is using 2.5″ squares so the last time I went to choose fabrics for kits I brought home a bunch to cut with my die cutter.  I like to cut the pieces to an easy to handle size for the die and then stack 10 pieces and cut.
Here are the rest of the fabrics to cut.  Most of the pieces I brought home (from donated fabric) are quarter and half yards.  I have to press them first so I did that while I watched some of the new season shows on TV.
Some of the trees are starting to change color.  I took this photo with my zoom lens from my kitchen window so it isn’t real clear.  That may be because the window needs washing, but we won’t go there.
 
 

QOV quilt finish……

For this QOV quilt I took all of the leftover 2.5″ and 3.5″ strips of varying lengths of red/white/blue and pieced strips that I cut to 68″ length.  Then I alternated the 2 sizes in several different ways to piece a quilt the required minimum size for a QOV quilt. I call this style random plank as it reminds me of hardwood floor planks.  I put the binding and label on yesterday.  I also sewed the binding on Sparkling Stars and printed labels for 5 quilts.  I am going to a group meeting today and will take the hand sewing along.

2 bindings……

The first binding I finished was on Crooked Cobblestones 1, which I should have finished in January.  I’m glad I decided on binding instead of facing.  This is 2 down and 12 yet to finish before the first of June.  I also printed 4 more labels, 2 of them for quilts that are done and just needed the label.
This close up shows the binding better, the same fabric that is on the back of the quilt.  I like the way the color changes so it isn’t real noticeable that there is a binding.
The second binding is on the QOV #3 so I could get it washed and ready to take to the sew in today.

One more quilted…..

I quilted the third QOV quilt made from the kits that I cut.  Our sew-in is on Tuesday so I want to be able to deliver the quilts.  I trimmed the edges but haven’t cut the binding yet.
I need to make 30 more of the black and white wedges before I can continue on that project.  I am using up all of the left over strip piecing from a Strips n Curves quilt made several years ago and adding 2 chunks onto it.  I’m still looking for my bag of black and white scraps.  I hate to cut off yardage when I know there are a bunch of scraps somewhere in my house.