I finally finished the hand stitching on the binding of this batik 16 patch quilt. It is 62.5″ x 78.5″.
I love the pink and purple houndstooth check batik on the back.
Last night I got two of the first five half blocks sewn for my other quilt.
I got the binding sewn onto the the batik 16 patch quilt and have 1/4 of the hand sewing done.
I designed 2 new blocks to replace 2 that I don’t like very much. Now I need to work on the half blocks and quarter blocks so I can finish this one.
I took my daylight photo of Many Moons but I think I prefer the one I showed yesterday which shows how rich the colors really are. The lavender walls are pale in the daytime, deeper toned at night too.
1/3 of the people who left comments yesterday were NO REPLY commenters. If you didn’t hear back from me yesterday, you are one of them. You can fix that by enabling your email address in your Blogger (Google) profile.
I didn’t get the hand sewing done until after dark so I will take another photo of Many Moons today with daylight. I have an east exposure in this room so around noon is a good time for that. The couch needs to move a couple inches to the right too.
When I went over to turn off the lamp on the left I thought this was a nice view of it too. I’m glad I went with facings instead of binding.
I chose a backing for my batik “Many Moons” wallhanging and got it ironed. This one will hang in my living room. I think maybe this wallhanging needs facings instead of a binding. I have plenty of the backing fabric to use for them.
I also chose a purple binding fabric for the batik 16 patch quilt that I quilted last Saturday.
We had a family Thanksgiving dinner yesterday while my granddaughter’s family is still here from out of state. My great grandson entertained us.
I loaded this quilt on my longarm a couple weeks ago. I finally decided I was ready to quilt it when I got home from the family reunion yesterday afternoon. I got it trimmed and will look for a binding fabric today. I think it will be purple because purple looks good with everything.
If you want to see the whole quilt, click here.
I sewed 4 more sets of fabrics so I have 40 blocks now. When I make all of the duplicate blocks I will have 80 and then I’ll play with the layout and sew it together.
The rest of the day was relaxation.
I had a couple more photos from Saturday that I didn’t post. Here is the Spiderwort again.
This was in the area where I dug out lots of the day lilies. I ended up digging out most of the little star flowers too because they were mixed into the roots of the lilies.
I made 4 more light blocks for a total of 36 so far. I have another of each of these combinations to sew so there will be 72, 8 blocks x 9 or 64″ x 72″. If I do 4 more combinations I will have 80 blocks or 64″ x 80″. I did a tutorial in July 2013 for the 16 patch quilt. If they are all in the same position (all with light in the top left corner) the seams will go in opposing directions at every intersection with my directions.
I needed to tackle this flower bed yesterday. The day lilies have crept forward again and were crowding out the hostas.
Here is the after photo. My sister in law gave me some bleeding heart plants so they are way over to the left along with a coral bell. I can see my rock edge again.
I dug out the hostas and reset them with a little different spacing. They broke into many sections as I dug and this is the leftovers. I tried to offer them on Freecycle but my posts are held up by a moderator that must not be home. I offered the day lilies and hostas. I hope she/he does the moderating today so it will be posted.