Finished cleaning………

I finished cleaning up the basement, cleaning off tables and dusting, etc., baked 2 batches of cookies.  I didn’t sew a stitch.  I did do some cutting but nothing worthy of photographing.  So instead I’ll show the new fall Kaffe collective fabrics that I pre-ordered on sale a few weeks ago.  I love that new stripe.  It runs from selvage to selvage rather than along the lengthwise grain.  I also love the new rusty red Brassica by Phil Jacobs.  The 4 on the right are Brandon Mably prints.  The art quilters are coming today so it will be a fun day.

Advertisements

5 sections…….

I sewed the quilt in 5 sections.  I will get the last 4 seams done today.  It looks like it is going to fit together OK.  I had to measure it to be sure since I could trim the center section if necessary.

One more day and this first cactus bloom will be opened.  I took this photo in low light rather than move the plant.  They don’t like to be moved once they start budding out.

I just HAD to buy this cute zebra fabric that was on sale a couple weeks ago.  They said it was oxford cloth but is more like canvas.  I think it would make a cute tote bag with black accents.

Still cleaning………..

While continuing to clean off tables and put things away this box caught my eye.  It is full of 4.5″ and 2.5″ strips.  I guess I was preparing for another double 4 patch there too.

The cookies are baked and the art quilters are coming.  We got 1.75″ of rain overnight Sat. night and on Sunday morning.  That is over 3″ so far and more rain predicted.  Luckily there are breaks between storms and lots of sunshine.

Looking for matching fabrics….

As I search for the fabrics matching the sewn strips so I can cut the 4.5″ squares I’m thinking that maybe I was going to make some 16 patches to mix into the quilt.  If I don’t find any more matching fabrics I’ll just go to the stash and cut more fabric.

This is at the waiting area for our gate at the Asheville NC airport.  I don’t think we’ll ever see rocking chairs at the Chicago airports.

I have the yellow primroses in all of my gardens and they are all blooming now.  

The flowers in the pots are filling in too.

The tomato plants grew a lot in the 3 hot days I was gone.  Now it has cooled down a little and we got some rain.

I need to download the photos from my phone and then I can show you the alpacas.

Searching……

Yesterday morning I had a visit from a reader of my blog and her daughter.  It was like we were old friends and have always known each other.  It was definitely the highlight of my day.  They used to live in this area but we never met during that time.  I showed them both studios and nooks and crannies plus a lot of quilts. 

After they left I decided I needed to check out some of my unlabeled boxes on the shelf units.  In this one I found lots of 6.5″ batik squares.  There are 4 alike of each in the back 2 rows and 2 each on the pile on the right front.  Maybe another simple fast quilt is in my future.

On Friday I had pulled out the 4 patches I made probably at least a year ago.  I have more strips all sewn together ready to cut for more of them.  This will probably be my night sewing project for awhile.

Inventory………

As I get ready to do my next colorwash with batik rectangles I needed to take inventory to see if I have any gaps in my colors or values.

I realized I only have 9 days until the art quilters come so I really don’t want to start this right away because it might not be done by then and I don’t want to rush it.  I’ll just do all of the preparations now and start after they leave.

I was going through a pile in my studio and found a folder that contained ideas for colorwashes and also ideas for applique flowers, the raw edge variety that I showed a few days ago.  These ideas will take squares so that will be the project after the batik rectangle colorwash.