#17 star and some gifts………..

Number 17 is done.  Number 18 is cut out and ready to sew tonight.  The two blues in the background points are a couple oldies from the 1990s. 






I made covers for two 5″ x 7″ notebooks for gifts for two girls who live at the apartments at the mission that our church helps support.  I had to look high and low for the box of supplies and the paper with the measurements on it.  I knew I had a bunch of fusible fleece pieces already cut for them as well as some crazy pieced batik squares.  Some of the other ladies in our sewing circle are knitting hats and scarves for them.

Sewing, pressing……

First I’ll show the formal portrait of denim/flannel/corduroy number 2.  I sewed the binding on last night and then washed and dried it.  I should add to the discussion yesterday about the 6″ shrinkage.  That is both the amount that it pulls in from the quilting and then the shrinkage from washing.  This one came out 58″ x 73″ so about the same amount of shrinkage.  This type of quilting allows for a lot of puffing up which means it is pulling in from the sides and therefore becomes smaller.  If I took it out of the dryer partially dried, laid it flat and smoothed it out to dry it would  be larger.

All of the flannel triangles are sewn into squares but less than half have been pressed.
I  mailed this journal cover to its new owner yesterday.  It is made from the leftovers of the striped diamond quilt shown in progress here.
I showed the stash of flannel plaid strips in Sept. 2010.  I just ran across them again and decided to use the 1.5″ ones (top container) and make as many squares as I could.  They are 8″ so this would make a nice center for a baby quilt.

Small projects………..

I needed some instant gratification projects after all of the big quilts I have been working on.  I finished 3 journal covers.

I stitched a few horizontal lines with gold metallic thread on this one.  Next I’m going to make some mug rugs.  Everybody is making them but if you don’t know what they are, do a search and you will find all kinds of tutorials and photos.  I found that there isn’t any standard size for them. I should be able to use more of my batting scraps for them, the scraps too small for the Swifter.

>Fun day for all………

>

I sold a kit for a Kaffe Fassett fabric Trip Around the World to one of the art quilters in November.  It is king size.  I think it turned out great.

This is the photo I posted back in November when I just finished cutting the kit.

After standing all day I was way too tired to get into a big project so I sewed one more round on the log cabin blocks.  I have several blocks leftover from the 2 quilts I made last year so I am making more to go with them.

I always give the art quilters first chance to purchase my journal covers and totes, and these are the ones leftover if anyone is interested in purchasing one.  The spiral notebooks are the 5″ x 7″ size.  I will list them on my Wandaful blog unless I sell them before I have time to do that.  email me with the link on my right sidebar if you want more information.

>Cleaning, baking, sewing……..

>

I think the art quilters are coming today.  The weather is still the boss so we’ll see.  I finished cleaning up the tables, baked the chocolate chip cookies and made 2 quilted journal covers that fit composition notebooks.
Added 6:54 a.m.- Mother Nature won again, freezing rain predicted…………………no company!

>A humbling day………..

>

I had this great idea.  I pulled out this leaf print and one the Brandon Mably prints and did a little bordered square, 3 times.

My first idea was to turn under 1/4″ on all sides and applique it to strip piecing that had already been quilted.  That should be easy, right?  Well 2 tries later I still have a wonky applique, so I have to call this one my humble piece.  I thought I could do it…….

It was such a pretty piece of strip piecing too.  I probably won’t sell this one. 

On the next one I pieced the square into the notebook cover.
That worked better.

This stripe is one of the Brandon Mably fabrics too.  I haven’t used the third bordered square yet.

Then I used a wonky log cabin square that was a leftover and added some batik fabrics to it for the back and inside flaps.

I like this one.  Of course I like any of my crazy pieced and wonky log cabin squares made of batik fabrics.  I love piecing with crooked strips.

I had one more strip pieced Kaffe fabric section that I made into my final journal cover last night.  I did the wavy line quilting again on this one with red thread.

This was a simpler one to make but I like it just as well as the others.  So it was a good sewing day, a humbling day that not everything turns out as anticipated.