Binding started………….

I got the binding sewn onto the the batik 16 patch quilt and have 1/4 of the hand sewing done.

I designed 2 new blocks to replace 2 that I don’t like very much.  Now I need to work on the half blocks and quarter blocks so I can finish this one.

I took my daylight photo of Many Moons but I think I prefer the one I showed yesterday which shows how rich the colors really are.  The lavender walls are pale in the daytime, deeper toned at night too.

1/3 of the people who left comments yesterday were NO REPLY commenters.  If you didn’t hear back from me yesterday, you are one of them.  You can fix that by enabling your email address in your Blogger (Google) profile.

First May finish……….

While my 2 friends were here yesterday I finished quilting this wallhanging and sewed the binding on. Last night I did the hand sewing on the binding and hanging sleeve.  It is 40.5″ x 40″.

The binding is a black and white stripe made of dashes.

I am really feeling lost and indecisive without my triangle project.  It is the journey that I love the most: the process of choosing fabrics as I go and cutting and piecing little by little, experimenting with fabrics and finding out if they are going to work.  The end product is nice but the process is wonderful.  When the process if over, the last seam sewn, it is like I have lost a good friend.  I can visit the quilt top and enjoy it, but I miss the journey.  I hope my next project will be as much fun.

I counted fabrics in it last night and there are 100 different fabrics with 2 repeats.  I didn’t have to go shopping, the stash was there for me to play with. Here are 2 collages of the quilt progress.

Here is the post with the inspiration for this quilt.

First April finish, quilt gifts, recipe………..

The 40″ African 16 patch wallhanging is done, the first finish for April.

The binding is sewn onto the Kaffe zig zag and I have started the hand sewing.

Here are 4 of the 5 quilts that went home with relatives on Sunday after the wedding shower.  They are left to right for a 20 year old great-nephew, wedding present for nephew and wife, shower gift for nephew and wife and last one for a 4 year old great nephew.  I also gave one to my sister in law but don’t have a photo of it.  It was made before digital cameras so I may have a real photograph of it, maybe not.

Many people requested the recipe for the frosted creams so here it is:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cream 3/4 c. Crisco and 3/4 c. sugar
Add 2 egg yolks and 3/4 c. molasses
Add alternately 1 1/8 c. cold water with 3 c. flour, 3/4 t.baking soda, 3/4 t. cinnamon, 3/4 t. salt. (I do 1/3 of flour and other dry ingredients first, then half of the water, another third of flour, other half water, then remaining flour) beating well after each.  Spread in a 11.25″ x 17.25″ greased pan.  Bake 30 min. or until edges are browned and pulling away from pan.  Frost with your favorite butter cream frosting.  Yield, about 40 pieces.

Binding time……..

Since there are so many colors in this quilt I wasn’t sure what I wanted to use for a binding.  In the end I chose a purple because purple really goes with everything.

I also cut the binding for the African 16 patch wallhanging.  I got it sewn on and have 1 2/3 sides hand stitched.

I picked my bouquet of tulips.  i decided two of the yellow ones were newer blooms and included them.

Third finish for February……..

I finally looked for binding for this flannel quilt and chose a dull red plaid flannel.  It is lightweight so it worked fine for a double binding.  I am going to settle for just 3 finishes for February.  I need to clean the basement for another class and I don’t feel like rushing to finish another quilt.  This one is 56″ x 75.5″.

 

You can see the camera is confused somewhere here.  With the black background backing exposed the quilt has a pinker cast.  The real color is half way between these 2 photos.

Here is a closer look at the binding.  It looks like a stripe but is really a plaid.

Last night I sewed a strata for a couch size TAW.  I was going to do another zig zag but I need to plan the fabric order differently for it.

Second finish for February………..

The blue batik 16 patch is finally finished.  I made a series of six 16 patch quilts between May and September in 2013.  This is the first one I made and the last one to be quilted.  It ended up 70″ x 93″ after quilting.

I originally thought I would put a darker blue backing on this quilt but as I looked through my backing fabrics this one just asked to be used.

All of the fabrics that appear pink have some blue in them and were included so the quilt wouldn’t be “too blue”.  I have a problem with staying on a theme and want to include SO many fabrics.  There are 108 blocks, each with 2 fabrics.  Most combinations were used twice so there are at least 100 different fabrics in the quilt.  

Now for the indoor garden.  Both orange cacti are blooming.








The white with pale pink has one bloom and a few more buds.








The red one has been blooming for about a month and I think this might be the last bloom.

Hand stitching…….

I used a lot of different blue and green fabrics for the binding on this quilt.  I had a lot of strips that weren’t full width (45″) and decided to use them up.  I have 3 sides hand sewn already.

There are four blooms on this stalk so far and one more bud on the top getting ready to bloom.