Tumbler…………

I have never been fond of the tumbler shape, but with all of the scraps I have, I need variety.  When the Studio dies were 40% off in July I decided to get the single die ($18).  I cut from scraps more often than from yardage.  I usually sew up a sample from my new dies to see how the nipped off corners line up.  One pass through the cutter yielded 10 pieces.

Is this a Monarch caterpillar?  There were 2 on this plant.  The other one is doubled up hanging from the bottom of a leaf.  I hope that means he is going to become a chrysalis. 

The plant they are on is a swamp milkweed.

There are lots of holes on the common milkweed plants too.  I have seen more butterflies this summer although still a lot less than in the past.  Mostly I see the yellow Swallowtails, a black one that I haven’t gotten close enough to identify, and the Monarchs.

Advertisements

Kite blocks……

I decided to sew the kite blocks together since they were just my samples to test out the GO die.  I think I will put a stripe sashing between the blocks and a border around and make a table runner.  They are 8″ blocks.

We are going to be making more preemie layettes at church sewing circle so I washed some new flannel.  I got this one on sale and they only had a yard of it.  I will probably make the extra small size gown from it.  I shared the pattern over a year ago here (scroll down to end of post).

Garden Bounty…….

After the art quilters left I went outside to water my tomato plants.  I noticed yesterday one large tomato on the Early Girl was starting to turn red.  Yesterday it was ready to pick.  The others are grape tomatoes and pear tomatoes.

I wanted to see how the GO! Kite block would look as corners in a 9 patch type block.  I used squares from one of my labeled boxes in the basement.  I’m sure this could be made more interesting if the center square was made of 4 triangles.  As one of my commenters mentioned yesterday, Doreen Speckman called this corner block “ice cream cone (full)”.  She had another block she called “ice cream cone (empty)” which was the long point and then flat at the top connecting to a small triangle of background color, making it look more like an empty cone.

Ready………..

I finally finished putting away stuff in the basement at 9 last night.  I baked the cookies in the morning while it was still cool.  I decided to cut some pieces with a new die that I purchased.  I had a pile of leftovers from the Fractured quilt so that is what I used.  I have just sewn the quarters, not the whole blocks.

I wondered what would happen if 2 of the pieces were turned the opposite way.  This might be interesting if you made the diagonal paths in different color groups to create a sort of plaid look.
Added at 8 a.m., go to Gene Black’s blog and see the EQ colorations he came up with!!

I’ll have to play with it later, the art quilters are coming today and it is supposed to be above 90 degrees.

Busy Saturday……….

My company had a flight to catch yesterday so they left mid morning.  I did 2 loads of laundry and mowed the grass in 2 sessions.  It was pretty warm but it cooled off with a gentle rain starting around 9 p.m. 

I started cutting a new project, triangles of course.  I will be cutting for a few days before I sew. 

Cutting, quilting, knitting………

When I cut the wedges for the Vintage Spin blocks there was just enough left over on the 9″ strip to cut four 6.5″ triangles with my Studio die cutter.  This is just the last batch, the rest are in box waiting for these.  While I was in the basement I did a load of laundry and quilted 5 rows on the Streak of Lightning zig zag quilt.  I just have 4 zig zag rows left to quilt and then I will quilt the border.  So far it has all been ditch quilting.  Next I have to decide if I’ll do more rows of quilting that will show within the zig zags.

I finished 2 dishcloths in spring colors.  I walked to the post office yesterday and saw crocuses blooming by a couple houses.  My daffodils have buds now too.

Still playing with flannel…….

Yesterday I cut 10″ strips off the 40 fabrics I had chosen for the two Stack and Slash quilts.  I pressed all of them and started cutting the one 7″ square from each piece.  Today I will cut two 4.5″ strips from the remainder and cut it into two 7″ lengths and two 15″ lengths.

The photo is my purple flannels.  They are Moda brushed fabrics and lots of them are the yarn dyed woven plaids.  I don’t know what color I will mix them with for another quilt.  They look pretty good with beige and tan so that is a contender.

I have two tall piles of pieces of flannel that are less than 1/4 yard.  I need to press all of them and then cut pieces with my Studio die cutter.  I think I’ll save that for a day when my friends come over to sew.