The triangles are getting sewn into this unit.
I first saw this pattern in an American Patchwork and Quilting magazine in 1997 (bottom right in photo). It was done in scraps. Then I saw it in the Quilt Art calendar in 2000 in yellow and blue. Last year I saw it on Pinterest in Kaffe fabrics, two different versions. The bottom 2 have 4 patches for the large square area and then triangles to fill in. The top left version uses a big square in one piece (no 4 patches) and the one on the top right uses whole squares in one row and 4 patches in the next row. There is a pattern available on Craftsy called Shimmering Triangles if you want to do a search. I already had a pattern in the magazine so I had a general idea of how to make it.
Since I am using a combination of whole squares and 4 patches I needed to lay out the squares in an order I think will work. The 4 patches will be in no specific order or pattern, just whenever I feel like I want to put one in.
Triangle units were added made of the fabrics in 2 adjacent blocks. I noticed after I took the photo that I have one in the wrong position on the top right. It needs to go on the other side of the dark big square.
This quilt is going to take a long time since I only have about 1/4 – 1/3 of the large squares on the design wall so far. I will need to have it mostly sewn together by May 4 when the art quilters come again since they need to use this design wall.
Last night I was working on the top left corner. The pieces are dark purple but the lighting isn’t good at the top of my design wall. My plan is to make all of the parts on the left edge and then sew the first 4 vertical columns together so I will be able to get more pieces on the design wall.
I have a bridal shower at my house April 26 so I will be deep cleaning the house part of each day and working on this project as my reward each evening. I’ll probably just show progress a couple times a week.