RSS Feed

Category Archives: stack and slash

January 2014 recap……..

I finished 4 quilt tops, 2 started last year and 2 started and completed in January.

One quilt top is mostly completed; I want to add some pieced borders to it yet.

I quilted and bound one quilt.  Started in the late 1990s.









Seven mug rugs were completed.










Five dish cloths knitted.  The top one is the end of 3 different balls of yarn.  I need to knit some cheerier colors this month.

One more quilt top done, another on the way…….

I moved a few blocks to new positions and decided it was time to sew it together.  If you haven’t been following along on this one, here is the link to the tutorial.

Both of these new Stack and Slash quilts are about 56″ x 70″.

I have 6 of the strip sets for the Twisted Rail quilt sewn now and pressed.  I took 2 of them and layered them like I show in my tutorial and cut them.  These are ready to take to the machine.






If you have your machine in a cabinet with an insert around it or have a table that fits around your machine to create a flat surface you shouldn’t have any trouble with stretching on this seam.  After I sew it I take it to the ironing board and set the seam by setting the iron on top without sliding.  Then I press the seam to one side pressing with the grain of the fabric, not with the bias seam.

I had two reasons to make this pattern again.  One was because I need a few fast flannel quilts for gifts and the other was to try out another layout.  This is the original layout in the tutorial which works really well when you have an uneven number of blocks in one or both directions.

This is another layout that would work in a quilt with an even number of blocks in both directions.  I’m planning this one 6 blocks x 8 blocks so I may use this layout.

My orange cactus is still blooming and has a few more buds.








The pale pink one that has bloomed twice already has just started blooming again. Unfortunately in the photo I cut off the open flower at the bottom.  I have a 2 tone pink and white and a red one with buds, and the cutting from my mother-in-law’s plant has buds.

I fought off a headache all day yesterday so I hope it doesn’t hit me today.  Snow predicted tomorrow and the headaches sometimes come with moisture storms (and barometric pressure changes).

On the design wall……….

All of the barometric weather changes in the last week have zapped my energy.  I know we are in for a few more changes this week too.  Yesterday I managed to get these blocks sewn together and up on the design wall.  I was too tired to decide if this is the final layout so I’ll look at them again this morning.  There are 4 blocks of each of the fabric combinations and I have them in diagonal rows right now.  I think they might need mixing up.

While watching the 10 p.m. news I started sewing the strips for the Twisted Rail quilt.  I have 4 out of 12 sets sewn.  I’m using 3″ strips for this one.

Quilt top one and number two progress……….

I finished the blocks for Stack and Slash 1 and got the top sewn together.  Most of the reds are more of a burgundy and only one is a true bright red.




Then I got the first step done on the blocks for quilt number two.  I always make a positive/negative combination of blocks from each two fabrics that I pair.  I cut all of the fabrics at once, then choose pairs, sew the blocks and then choose five piles of four blocks I like together for the stack and slash part.

Cut, cut, sew………….

I finished the cutting for two flannel quilts yesterday.  This is the first one.









I used 5.5 yards in each quilt.  The leftover section of the 4.5″ strips was cut into squares for another quilt.





Last night I watched Netflix for almost two hours and got the first part done on this Stack and Slash quilt.  Then I sorted them into groups of 4 and they are ready to stack and slash and shuffle.

Cold……Brrrrrr!!………..

What do you do on a frigid day in Illinois?  Play with flannel fabric!  I pulled out all of my bins of flannel and started sorting.  This pile is all printed flannels.  My other flannels are yarn dyed woven plaids and stripes.  I have sorted out enough to make two stack and slash quilts from this stack.  I want to make fast and easy quilts from all of the flannels.






This group will be another stack and slash.








I think I many have shown this group before, and probably about 5 years ago and I still haven’t made the quilt.  This will be a Twisted Rail flannel quilt.



I got some fun mail a couple days ago.  A reader who knows I love zebras saw these at a quilt shop and bought them for me.  Aren’t they cute?  Thanks friend!!!

Auditioning…….

My green scraps weren’t long enough for the next rounds on the sunshine/rainbow piece so I pulled candidates off the shelves of my stash.  I didn’t consider any batiks this time.

Then I pinned them up on the wall where I thought they might go and took a photo of them.











I imported the photo into my computer and used the software that came with my Canon camera to crop the yardage so I was just seeing strips.  I may reconsider on a couple of the really dark greens and then I’ll start cutting.




In my front garden everything is growing together.  The balloon flowers started out about 18″ away from this Husker Red Penstemon.  The Evening Primrose just travels underground everywhere so some of that is in there as well as the Coral Bell plant reaching out to the sides.  I hesitate to dig it all up and try to untangle it.  Balloon flowers don’t like to be transplanted according the my perennial book.  They do however reseed wherever they want.












Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.